Choosing Dresses for Your Choosy Girls
Our friend and bridesmaid fashion expert Alex DeJohn, owner of Bella Bridesmaids in Little Rock, dishes her tips on how to make the most out of bridesmaid dress shopping.
Do Your Homework
The best thing you can do is to spend some time researching — alone. Pull out your favorite magazines, read wedding blogs, scroll Pinterest for hours... whatever makes you feel like you've seen lots of options.
- Focus on the things you like. Are there particular colors, fabrics or necklines that appeal to you? Do you like sparkle or patterns or prefer a more classic solid look? Think about your wedding gown shape and color and what might complement it best. Choose words or feelings you want to focus on: romantic, classic, sexy, rustic, soft, beachy, magical, sparkly, elegant, etc.
Shop With Your Supporters
- Big bridal parties are amazing! They mean you have lots of near and dear friends and family in your life. It does not mean every single bridesmaid needs to come shopping with you for your bridesmaid dresses. Choose the family members and friends that will support your decisions and want you to remain the center of attention on your big day. A group of 3-5 seems to be the magic number.
- If you want to bring the whole group, assign roles ahead of time. Your bridesmaids are there to try the styles that you select so you can see your vision on human bodies. Put someone in charge of bringing donuts, taking notes, snapping photos, etc. This will have them focus on their job rather than stealing the spotlight during the appointment.
- Remember you have a teammate in your stylist. We are always Team Bride and want you to leave happy!
Compromise Where You Want
- If you are comfortable, you can build in some compromises with your bridesmaids. If you want them all in the same style and color, perhaps you let them wear whatever shoes they want or let them choose how they wear their hair. If you only care about a specific color, you can allow each girl to choose her favorite style that she feels most confident in.
- If you don't want to compromise for your bridesmaid vision, that is totally fine! Let them have input in other areas of the process. This can include the bachelorette party, bridal shower, rehearsal dinner or morning of the wedding. Your bridesmaids will appreciate that you valued their opinion.
Stay True to Your Vision + Trust Your Gut
At the end of the day, you know what you want your wedding day to look and feel like. Trust your instincts and focus on what is most important to you.